Remember the good ole’ days of trick-or-treating on Halloween? The biggest concern your parents had was that you might eat too much candy and never get to sleep! Now days, things are different. We hear about tainted candy, but the biggest threat to kids are the dangers that cars pose to trick-or-treaters on Halloween. In fact, twice as many children are killed by cars on Halloween night than on any other night of the year. This is from drivers under the influence, kids darting out into the street when cars are approaching and costumes that are too dark to be seen by drivers. Halloween is when kids get to be kids! However, it’s important to keep safety in mind first. Here are 6 safety tips for kids on Halloween:
- Be sure your kids are visible from near or afar. Have them take a working flashlight or plenty of glow sticks!
- Don’t let your kids leave home without a fully charged cell phone.
- Remind them to walk only on the sidewalk and to take extra caution when crossing the street.
- Make sure your child’s costume doesn’t impede their vision.
- Don’t let your kid trick-or-treat alone. Dress up in a costume and go with them!
- Impose a curfew if your kids are older and have them stick to a certain pre-planned route. That way you’ll know their approximate whereabouts at all times.
Halloween is fun, especially when you’re a kid. Make sure your kids are safe this trick-or-treating season by applying these safety tips. For insurance quotes and tips please visit us online at www.knapptedesco.com or call us at 515-232-7060 today.