Fall has finally arrived. Fall makes people think of all different things. For Iowans, we think about harvest. Whether you live on a farm or not, if you’re in Iowa, it’s important to think about safety around Harvest time.
Farm machinery is out and about running hard to get the crops out. It’s important to be extra cautious around all of this equipment.
- Keep fire extinguishers and first aid kits in tractors, combines, and farm trucks. This time of year is a dangerous time of year for farmers in particular!
- Check and maintain equipment, especially hydraulic hoses and electrical cables showing cracks or other signs of wear.
- Look out for others around you! It’s difficult to see in large machinery, so teach your children to never come near any operating machinery.
- Always stay a safe distance away from operating machinery. Be sure the operator sees you!
- Be patient! It’s often frustrating going 10 miles an hour behind a tractor, but it’s better than trying to pass recklessly. Plan for delays in your routes, so you aren’t late.
Last, thank a farmer! If we didn’t have Iowa farmers, we wouldn’t have the food on our plates. If you are in need of insurance, call Knapp Tedesco Insurance today at 515-232-7060, or visit us online at www.knapptedesco.com.