The Fourth of July is an exciting holiday. It marks our country’s independence and is a great reason to celebrate.
There are however precautions to take on the Fourth of July. Take a couple minutes to consider these safety tips over this holiday weekend.
Last year, fireworks resulted in over 10,000 injuries that were treated in hospital rooms across the country with an estimated 58% of those being burns. A few tips when using fireworks --
- Follow all directions on the fireworks products.
- Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Make sure all spectators keep a safe distance from where the fireworks are being lit.
- DO NOT use hand sanitizer at the same time as handling fireworks. Hand sanitizer is flammable. Wash your hands with soap and water.
Grilling and cookouts are a big part of the fourth of July. Common causes of fires are gas line leaks and excess build-up of grease and grime. A few tips here --
- Use your grill well away from your home and deck railings and out from under branches or overhangs.
- As referenced above, remove grease below your gas or propane grill each time after use.
- Declare a “kid and pet-free zone” around the grill to keep them safe.
The weather looks like it will be great for the Fourth of July weekend. As you spend time outside --
- Protect yourself from the sun!
- Apply (and reapply) sunscreen.
- Wear a hat.
- Take a break and sit in the shade.
- Stay hydrated and drink plenty of water.
- Always wash your hands before preparing food.
- Bring enough ice and gel packs to keep meat, eggs, and salads cool.
Most of all, we want you to have a very enjoyable Fourth of July weekend Be careful on the roads and from Knapp Tedesco -- stay safe!